Recommended "Donation"?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
Adam123

Recommended "Donation"?

Post by Adam123 »

Looks like I've gotten ZM working. (Most of my challenges were unrelated to ZM.)

What's a fair a contribution for the software? I'm using it for security at my home, a private residence. Looks like it'll be 8 cameras when I'm done.

You'd think someone had put together a chart for recommended fees, based on use? Either way; I'd like to pay my share. Recommendation?
iconnor

Re: Recommended "Donation"?

Post by iconnor »

We are grateful for any amount! I think $25 is around the average donation. Lots of $10. Anything less really isn't worth it as transaction fees leave not much.

Some wonderful people donate a lot more.
Adam123

Post by Adam123 »

$25 is a steal. I did that through GitHub, and I signed up for a $5/month membership on Patreon.

Thank you, sir.
hlightrid

Post by hlightrid »

What strategies can we use to encourage larger donations from our supporters?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I have to feel that advertising is the way. None of this is in my skill set though. I'm sure there are people here who are good at that stuff. I wish they would step forward and join the organisation.

I've spent some small money on social media. Not sure of the effect. Most effect seems to come from creating useful youtube videos.

I know roughly how many installs are out there.... hundred of thousands if not millions. If everyone paid $5 we'd be fine.

Instead I work with companies who want to sell their own branded dvr's as part of their IT portfolio. Occasionally get a client who wants to do something a little interesting and needs help. It's almost a living.