SV3C camera calls china!

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
smp

SV3C camera calls china!

Post by smp »

-
I decided to log the SV3C camera's network traffic, and to my horror I saw it calling home:

DST=47.94.5.121
FG7HtPxrJo00bs3g.png
FG7HtPxrJo00bs3g.png (157.84 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

POE cameras seem to be much better than managing analog equipment, at least for me.
I cannot afford commercial equipment, so I'm stuck with the china stuff.

My proposed solution:
  • Use dedicated Ubuntu box running Zoneminder
  • Attach POE switch to its NIC
  • Use old nvidia board attached to 65" tv via HDMI for local display thru local web-browser
  • No connection to the internet
Question:
Eventually I would like to be able to view cameras on other local devices, phone, etc. Could I safely place a second NIC in the box and use existing Ubuntu/linux SW to firewall off this 2nd NIC so that it CAN NOT be accessed by anything on the 1st NIC, ie. the cameras?
ILikeCelery67

Re: SV3C camera calls china!

Post by ILikeCelery67 »

You can block outgoing web traffic from your cams through the router firewall. This makes it so that your IP Cam cannot initiate communication with a remote IP, it will only respond to incoming traffic, which should only be the apps you are using to connect to the cams remotely. I had the same issue with a couple of my cameras. They don't "call home" anymore :)
smp

Post by smp »

You can block outgoing web traffic from your cams through the router firewall. This makes it so that your IP Cam cannot initiate communication with a remote IP, it will only respond to incoming traffic, which should only be the apps you are using to connect to the cams remotely. I had the same issue with a couple of my cameras. They don't "call home" anymore :)
I did that first thing. Problem is that both IP addresses and MAC addresses can be spoofed. I'm going for total isolation!
VARN

Post by VARN »

smp wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:17 pm Question:
Eventually I would like to be able to view cameras on other local devices, phone, etc. Could I safely place a second NIC in the box and use existing Ubuntu/linux SW to firewall off this 2nd NIC so that it CAN NOT be accessed by anything on the 1st NIC, ie. the cameras?
This is pretty much how I have mine setup, my motherboard has a second NIC built in. I changed one of them to a different network, then changed the switch and cameras to match. I didn't bother configuring a firewall since if the camera did attempt to call home I doubt Ubuntu would bridge the networks on it's own. I've never actually monitored the traffic for the Amcrest cameras though.