Help - using ZM in Apache VirtualHost and Moving web dir

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
unix-guy

Help - using ZM in Apache VirtualHost and Moving web dir

Post by unix-guy »

Hi,

well, I originally set up ZM on a "test" system which has migrated into my new main server.

Unfortunately for me, I set up ZM with the web root as /var/www/html (because it was the only site I was running on the box), but I've now got 6 other virtualhost web sites, all with directories under /var/www/html.

I'd like to have ZM run as a virtualhost (I know how to do that) and I'm not suspecting I'll have problems, but please let me know if you think (or know!) otherwise.

My bigger problem is that I would like to relocate the web root without affecting any of my other current settings.

I could edit the various zm*.pl scripts to fix those, but I'm sure the binaries are also set up to use /var/www/html.

Anyone care to help me out? I don't think I need to do a full re-install (hopefully not, I've got months of data in my system!).

Is it as simple as updating the Makefile and then 'make; make install'?

Thanks,

Kevin
unix-guy

Post by unix-guy »

Ok, well I managed to get everything working (almost :D !).

Here is what I did:

1) re-reran ./configure with new paths
2) edited zmconfig.txt and changed paths where needed
3) ran make, zmconfig.pl -noi, make install
4) changed my Apache configs...

All is working EXCEPT I've got a problem with Cambozola not displaying - it gets a "connection denied", but I'm not seeing any Apache errors, so I've obviously bunged something...

Ideas?

Kevin
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I think the values in the database will override those given in zmconfig.txt so you may have to clear out the Config table from the db before rerunning zmconfig.pl you want to import them. You may be able to edit some of the the paths from the Options screen though if you want to try that first.

Phil,
unix-guy

Post by unix-guy »

I looked at the DB settings and nothing appears out of place...

I'm thinking that maybe something has changed in the network at work, because the streaming works fine when I use it from home.

I don't remember checking the streaming (from work) before I changed the configuration, so I can't say for certain it was working. It has worked in the past, buts its been several weeks since I last checked it from work.

Is there any way to get Cambozola to print debug info? The applet starts buts gets a "connection denied", which seems strange because I can then click the Cambozola "I" button and grab the URL of what its trying to play, drop that into a browser and I am prompted to save a "zms" file...

Kevin
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I _think_ there is a limitation in Cambozola (and possibly Java applets in general) whereby it can only access the host from which it was downloaded. If it thinks that it originated from abc.com and is trying to access something from xyz.com you may possibly get that message. I can't be more precise because I don't know the details but I remember reading something along those lines in the Cambozola help file, or somewhere like that. It might be worth checking anyway.

Phil
unix-guy

Post by unix-guy »

Hmm... That could definitely cause the problem, but I guess its all down to how it resolves the host name. The access is via NAT'd address on a broadband router doing port-forwarding.

The only thing the virtualhost changes is the hostname, which is a CNAME to the actual host name.

I'll look for more info in the Cambozola docs...

Thanks,

Kevin