video sync

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
jameswilson

video sync

Post by jameswilson »

Is it possible to ask the video card ,bttv, if a video sync is present on a paticular input?

James
shuckc

Post by shuckc »

The linux app "TV Time" seams to do video detect - at least on my tvcard. Based on the philips chipset. This si how the automatic channel scan system works.

Chris
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Speaking of this, it would probably be nice if ZM had the option to alarm if the video sync/signal was lost on an input (camera malfuctioned or someone cut the wire). Perhaps even detection of the camera being covered up (all black/grey pixels) would be possible?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

thats where i was going. I assumed that i could detect sync and if so would know when it was lost

James
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Detection of loss of signal is on the to-do list. It's pretty simple to do, the only thing to decide is whether it's just another motion detect event or whether it fits into a class by itself and so would be triggered even if in one of the recording modes.

Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i think it should be a seperate event and nothing to do with motion detect. It would be grate if it could send an email on loss, but i suppose it doesnt matter how it does it as long as it logs video loss and restore and can send an event if required.

James
cordel

Post by cordel »

I'd have to agree with James.
gregmac

Post by gregmac »

It definately needs to be seperate from motion detection. If video is lost, it should be possible to send an email specifically saying so.

For example, I would set this up to send a message to my cell phone. If I got that message, I'd go online, see what the video was leading up to the event (ie, are there strange people walking around with cutters?) and determine how to respond from there (ignore it till morning/go to site/call police..).

I wouldn't want to get messages for regular motion events otherwise -- I definately don't want to be waken up everytime a spider crawls across the lens!