system shutdown button

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
drakkan

system shutdown button

Post by drakkan »

Hi,

for systems that acts as dedicated zoneminder box would be useful a button to shutdown the system from the web page (maybe using sudo or a suexec cgi), what do you think about?

thanks
drakkan
quietas

Post by quietas »

Why bother when you can SSH in and restart or halt at the command line?
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

If it was there, I would have to remove it. The thought of being able to shut down a security server from a web page just frightens me to the core of my being! :shock:
cordel

Post by cordel »

I have to agree with Lee, Also there would be no way to turn the machine back on without phsicaly being at the machine unless you trust and setup WOL. This would be a bad security risk.
drakkan

Post by drakkan »

often happen that someone shut down my servers using the power button when I'm away, not all people are able to use ssh (for example my wife)
cordel

Post by cordel »

Then I would suggest installing webmin, but if the problem it people turning it off, this will not help you turn it on nor will ssh or anything else other than pushing the button.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

The old ones are the best.

"There is no security without physical security."

However, I do have my BIOS settings on all security systems set to 'power on resume' if they pull the plug, and 'power on time' as well. Any of my servers off at 6:00am turn on. This has only been a 'bad thing' once, and that was a late night and a drive array failure...